PRT Tenancy Agreements
A private residential tenancy agreement is a contract between a landlord and a tenant that outlines the terms and conditions of the tenancy, including:
- the length of the tenancy
- the amount of rent to be paid, and
- the rights and responsibilities of both parties.
In Edinburgh, private residential tenancy (PRT) agreements are governed by the Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act 2016, which sets out the legal framework for these types of agreements.
The Act provides tenants with increased security and stability, as well as greater rights and protections, while also giving landlords the ability to regain possession of their property if necessary.
How to create a Private Residential Tenancy Agreement
The easiest way for landlords to create their Private Residential Tenancy Agreement is to visit the ‘Create a tenancy agreement‘ page on mygov.scot and enter all your details.
A typical agreement will include the following information:
- The names and addresses of the landlord and the tenant
- The address of the rental property
- The date the tenancy begins and the length of the tenancy
- The amount of rent to be paid and the date it is due
- Any rules or regulations regarding the use of the property, such as whether pets are allowed
- The rights and responsibilities of the landlord and the tenant
- The terms of the tenancy, including any notice periods that must be given if the tenancy is terminated
It is also a good idea to include a clause stating that the tenancy is governed by the Private Housing (Tenancies) (Scotland) Act 2016, to make it clear that the agreement is subject to the provisions of the Act.
The team here at Home Sweet Home Letting can help guide you through this process as part of our fixed fee Property management in Edinburgh. We’ve been supporting Edinburgh landlords for years and we know all the ins and outs of all the Scottish landlord regulatory systems.
Get in touch with us today – don’t forget to claim your free rental valuation today!
Did you Know?
Home Sweet Home provide a complete Property Management Service for landlords in Edinburgh. For a fixed monthly fee we take all the stress out of renting your property.
As well as taking care of your Tenancy Agreements, our landlord service covers:
- Landlord Certification
- Smoke, Fire, Carbon Monoxide
- Tenancy Deposit Scheme
- Find a Tenant
- Advertise Property to Rent
- Rental Property Inspections
- Inventories for Rental Properties
Fixed price management fee of 10% inc vat for the first year – reverts to 12% (10% +VAT) after the first year.